Who treats erectile problems?

You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor. Depending on your particular health problems, you may go directly to a specialist, such as a doctor who specializes in male genital problems (urologist) or a doctor who specializes in hormonal systems (endocrinologist). Your primary care doctor, urologist, or endocrinologist is able to diagnose and treat erectile dysfunction. Although their areas of expertise are different, everyone is likely to perform a physical exam and ask questions about your medical history.

A urologist is a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating urinary tract conditions, as well as sexual problems in men. With erectile dysfunction (ED), it's hard to get or maintain an erection that's firm enough to have sex. When ED becomes a routine and annoying problem, your primary care provider or urologist can help. Different doctors can help diagnose and treat erectile dysfunction, including primary care physicians, urologists, and psychologists.

They not only treat sexual dysfunction, but they also treat diseases of the kidneys, bladder, prostate, urethra, and pelvic muscles, such as cancer, kidney stones, incontinence, and infections. Erectile dysfunction specialists are physicians who have been specifically trained in the fields of urology or endocrinology, with a focus on erectile dysfunction and related problems. Urologists treat conditions affecting the urinary tract and male reproductive organs, including erectile dysfunction (ED).