Can urologist treat erectile dysfunction?

Erectile dysfunction is a common and usually treatable condition. If you have erectile dysfunction, talk to your doctor. Urologists are trained in the diagnosis and treatment of ED. Your primary care doctor can help you find one that fits your needs.

Urologists treat conditions affecting the urinary tract and male reproductive organs, including erectile dysfunction (ED). They may perform tests to determine the cause of the condition and recommend treatments. The main surgical treatment for erectile dysfunction is the insertion of a penile implant (also called a penile prosthesis). Because penile vascular surgery is not recommended for older men who have failed treatments with oral PDE5 inhibitors, ICI or UI, implants are the next step for these patients.

Although penile implant placement is risky surgery, it has the highest success and satisfaction rates among erectile dysfunction treatment options. If your ED doesn't improve or if you have other problems related to sexual function, you may be referred to a urologist. A urologist is a doctor who specializes in health problems of the male and female urinary tract and male reproductive organs. Yes, urologists treat erectile dysfunction (ED).

They are specialized doctors who treat disorders of the urinary tract and the male reproductive system. Since ED is an inability to get or maintain an erection for penetrative sex, that would fall under the category of urology. Usually, men have 3 to 5 erections during the night while they sleep. Your doctor may use an erection test during the night to see if you can have an erection.

You're likely to start by seeing your family doctor. Depending on your particular health problems, you may go directly to a specialist, such as a doctor who specializes in male genital problems (urologist) or a doctor who specializes in hormonal systems (endocrinologist). Your primary care doctor, urologist, or endocrinologist is able to diagnose and treat erectile dysfunction. Although their areas of expertise are different, everyone is likely to perform a physical exam and ask questions about your medical history.

Erectile dysfunction specialists are physicians who have been specifically trained in the fields of urology or endocrinology, with a focus on erectile dysfunction and related problems. They not only treat sexual dysfunction, but they also treat diseases of the kidneys, bladder, prostate, urethra, and pelvic muscles, such as cancer, kidney stones, incontinence, and infections. Different doctors can help diagnose and treat erectile dysfunction, including primary care physicians, urologists, and psychologists.